Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Whimsy.....

It rains and rains outside. Yesterday the sun was hot and full and searing my skin as I walked the dog along the marina. Now it’s all rain and grey cloudy skies and a great excuse to sit indoors and do as little as possible! I am planning to spend the afternoon, (I’d plan the whole day if I didn’t have to work till lunch!) baking cake and reading a good book and listening to the rain on the roof!
Life has its sweet moments and often they are the simple ones. I look back on the fifty odd years I have graced this lovely planet and the moments that stand out as most sweet are the gentle, innocuous, unpretentious ones...like eating fairy floss at the beach when I was little or holding my rabbit on the back lawn, or singing songs with my mother as we walked to town, like making mud pies in the back garden and feeding them to my sisters, and rolling around in laughter with my eldest sister as we pretended to tango, roses in the mouth and all...like discovering the delights of Jane Eyre, Joseph Conrad and the myriad other classic authors of my teenage years, more discovering the supreme pleasure of losing myself in a good book...like writing poetry under the shade of an old tree watching the world pass me by and feeling no inclination to join it, at least for now...like sipping hot chocolate on a cold winter’s night, or baking in the sun and feeling the sand between my toes, like running with the wind and letting my hair fly about untethered, like arranging flowers in a vase and literally smelling the roses, like holding a newborn baby for the first time, skin to skin, like the comfort of a small child’s chubby hand in mine and the blessed feeling of falling asleep with my head on my husband’s shoulder...like listening to the ocean, or my own heart beating, like the smell of dinner cooking or the scent newly mowed grass...the simplest of things are the most unforgettable, we carry them with us every day and in a moment we can be back there in those moments, if only for a moment...and they make this journey, sometimes as hard and arduous as it can be, all worthwhile....

No comments: