Friday, May 10, 2013

mindful of the pain.....


Mindful awareness, that’s all it takes….to exist with equanimity, to find our true self and our right journey…..that’s all…hmmmmmm…

Yet this seemingly small thing is a gigantic responsibility! What does it really mean to be fully aware….take for instance a small inconvenience I am experiencing at the moment, the pain of a frozen shoulder….you might think that it would be easier to not engage with this pain, to try to stamp it out of my consciousness as it were….yet I have never before been so fully aware of my shoulder…I am mindful of its movement, its nuances and its responses in a way I never have been able to up until now. As a consequence I am more mindful of my body as a whole, its responses to various stimuli, its capabilities and its restrictions. This small ‘suffering’ is allowing me to be more aware of myself and my interactions with the external world! In this way I am more compassionate to others with pain and I am more aware of when and where there is no pain and how good this feels. To be fully aware or mindful is to be conscious without judgment of all the gradations of humanity or individuality, to all the aspects of being human. Whether our suffering is physical, mental, emotional or circumstantial, to try to deny it, grapple with it or fight it, can be counterproductive…this in a sense creates a new kind of suffering, sometimes bitterness, anger, even hatred or despair develop as a result of this. Equanimity, happiness, do not arise because everything is perfect…they arise because we of how we approach our life as it is, how aware we are of our moments and how comfortably we deal with them. That is not to say that we should then just expect suffering as the norm, do nothing to alleviate the unnecessary suffering of ourselves or others when this is possible or just plain give up and give in! It is to say that we should be aware of something as it is and give it the space and pathway to transform itself into something else as change will always be a constant….so we should not fight pain or suffering, be angry with it, fall apart because of it, rather we should understand it, find solutions to it and be ‘supple with it’. The Dalai Lama says that having a supple mind allows us to be fully alive and human. A supple mind can take in the big picture and all the little individual elements of it at the same time. This puts reasonable perspective back into our awareness. It allows non- judgement of a situation or an individual, puts compassion and sensitivity into our responses and helps us find more equitable courses of action.

Mindfulness practice is the refinement of an ability to pay deliberate attention to our internal and external experiences from moment to moment in an open, inquisitive way that leaves judgment aside. Relating compassionately to life in this way and learning to direct (and re-direct) our attention towards the present moment allows for greater access to our own powerful resources for intuition, insight, creativity and healing. Within the practice of mindfulness, thoughts and feelings are observed without over-identifying with them and certainly without reacting to them in an unconscious, habitual pattern of reactivity. This non-elaborative state of self-observation allows for a ‘space’ between one’s perceptions and one’s responses. In this way, mindfulness practices help us to respond thoughtfully to situations instead of reacting to them based on conditioned habits or reflexes.

Being mindful or aware is a day to day, moment by moment thing. Don’t get me wrong, meditation helps and focuses our attention to mindfulness, but it’s the everyday moment by moment attitude that makes mindfulness a living thing!

So back to my personal physical experience with pain….how does being aware help?? To start with I am notb looking at it as an enemy outside of myself or as something attacking myself…I see it as part of me right now and seek to understand it! This relaxes me more than the tense attitude we take up when we consider a fight with an opponent of some sort! Relaxing my mind and heart relaxes my body and this physically eases the pain…my shoulder releases and lets go! I am not blaming myself for the pain or expecting that I can be something different right now…I don’t struggle with myself…I recognise what I can and can’t do at this moment and make the most of it! I can certainly meditate, write and enjoy relaxing in the sun…I am reading more and walking more because this exercise is easy on me…I am noticing my surroundings more as a bonus! I am not being annoyed or angry that I cannot scrub the floor or shower, hang out the washing or lift heavy things, I am graciously allowing others to do it for me at the moment and I am learning to literally share the load…I needed this lesson!!  I am learning to be comfortable in my body!

Negative thoughts drive negative feelings, which can sensitise our nervous system and increase our pain. Thinking very negatively about pain, or what psychologists call ‘pain catastrophising’, is one of the strongest predictors that short-term acute pain will become longer-term persistent pain. Mindfulness can reduce these negative thoughts because it changes our relationship to thinking itself. We start to see thoughts as just ‘mental events’ rather than facts and this lessens their impact. This is also important in treating the upsetting emotional effects of pain and disability, such as depression and anxiety.

When it comes to the suffering of others and how we react or choose to respond to this, mindfulness of our own journey, our own suffering and what this does to us as well as mindfulness of how others actions affect us and our world, allows for us to cultivate understanding and compassion, determine to come home to ourselves when considering others; to recognize, accept, embrace and listen to our own suffering knowing that we can only find the path leading to the transformation of suffering when we understand the roots of suffering. Once we have understood our own suffering, we are more able to understand the suffering of others. We are committed to finding ways to help them transform their suffering into compassion, peace and joy.

When we fight with ourselves and our pain, when we struggle against our pain we experience more pain….likewise when we fight with others because of their actions or reactions, when we struggle against them, we cause more pain and suffering.  This space we give ourselves to reflectively respond, lets us learn better ways to work for the well-being of people, animals, plants and minerals and practice generosity by sharing our time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need. We will learn when to ask for help and when to give it! We will see when our actions cause unnecessary suffering and when we can choose to change those actions, we will want to give every sentient being the same opportunity to smell the roses, sleep peacefully and embrace their full potential as we give ourselves, because we know how it feels to be in pain and we know that we can be mindful. We know we have choice!

To be free of suffering, first we must learn to accept it, understand it and honour it for what it brings us. (I recall the excruciating pain of giving birth quite well…and I am grateful for the wonderful children that process has given me, I am also grateful for the strength I have discovered within myself in that process of birth and mothering! I would not forgo that pain; it was my true initiation into the joy of life! )

Mindful awareness, that’s all it takes….to exist with equanimity, to find our true self and our right journey…..that’s all…hmmmmmm…everything, in the end, is its own gift!

No comments: